Last update I mentioned the possibility of changing the site's name and domain/URL. I've spent some time considering names that I thought best fit the site and that were still available as domain names (do you have any idea how rare that is these days? Quite frankly I'm amazed that three of the ones I really liked weren't taken yet), and after going back and forth I have finally reached a decision. Yes, the site will be changing internets homes. dcNET isn't going to see February. Taking its place will be Altered Origin, which will be accessible at alteredorigin.net. Just in case you missed it last time, this is not a change in direction or content for the site. All that is changing is the name and domain. Everything else will remain exactly as it is; it will just be available at a slightly less childish URL from this point on.
It will still be a little while before the change takes place because I have a lot to check into to make sure there are as few broken links on any of my sites as possible in the aftermath, but I am going to be gradually rolling out changes every few days or so. There may be snatches of downtime or a few temporary 404s here and there while this happens, but hopefully these will be minimal. I'd like the main site's changes to be finalized no later than January 29th; it will probably happen well before that depending on how quickly I can work. Again, I will alert you guys when I'm getting ready to switch domains proper just in case something goes south and the site is unavailable for a while, and so you're able to start updating any bookmarks, etc.. dementedchicken.net will also be set up to redirect to alteredorigin.net, at least for a month or two. I'll change 649 and the Phoenixdex over a little bit later, just because I still haven't even looked at what's involved in getting their systems to change URLs–probably not too hard, but I don't yet know. Ideally I'd like to have some sort of substantial content update to go with the name change; it might or might not be one of the obvious things on the to-do list, as there's an additional secretish project I'd like to start sometime soon, but if I can swing it I'll try to get more done along with that. Or instead of that, depending on how tricky it is. We'll see.
While I'm at it, I'd also like to take the time to mention that seriously really this time I'm pretty sure I've fixed the Wargle layout for IE6/7. I was finally able to get to some working test browsers, and while it's sort of ugly the navigation does in fact work and is perfectly usable. Hell, it even works in IE5 (please tell me none of you are using IE5. Please.), though there are other awkward problems with the layout in that one. I would still recommend that you avoid Warbird if you're using IE6/7, but if you're dying for moar Wargle then it is at least navigable now. My life would be easier if a) IE9 is really as great as Microsoft claims it is and everyone who possibly could would upgrade to it, or b) people would just switch browsers to anything else, but as neither of those will ever really be feasible for everyone... well, there you go. It should be fixed. (I would love to get some confirmation on that from someone else with IE6/7, if possible.)
On a slightly related note, apparently that problem where the styleswitcher forgets the style you've chosen is still happening, at least for me. Damn it. *sigh* I'll keep working on it. I might be able to figure out a way to go back to the more reliable styleswitcher I had in 2008-2009, though it's going to take some fiddling and is technically not a priority until after the domain change. Knowing me I'll probably procrastinate on some homework (school starts again on Tuesday D: ) and look into it sooner than that anyway, though. Meh.